Heartbroken mother urges parents to take their children to the doctor for ‘any cough or sniffle’ – The HabariTimes Online
Connect with us

Heartbroken mother urges parents to take their children to the doctor for ‘any cough or sniffle’

Australia

Heartbroken mother urges parents to take their children to the doctor for ‘any cough or sniffle’

A devastated couple are urging other parents to trust their gut instincts after her son died unexpectedly just days after his second birthday.

Kate and Ross Upton from Brisbane were told son Arlo Jack simply had a virus by doctors but he died 48 hours later.

The toddler first showed signs of illness when he started coughing on October 27, just before the family headed out to Halloween festivities. 

A devastated couple are urging other parents to trust their gut instincts after their son (pictured) died unexpectedly just days after his second birthday

A devastated couple are urging other parents to trust their gut instincts after their son (pictured) died unexpectedly just days after his second birthday

A devastated couple are urging other parents to trust their gut instincts after their son (pictured) died unexpectedly just days after his second birthday

The toddler first showed signs of illness when he started coughing on October 27, just before the family headed out to Halloween festivities

The toddler first showed signs of illness when he started coughing on October 27, just before the family headed out to Halloween festivities

The toddler first showed signs of illness when he started coughing on October 27, just before the family headed out to Halloween festivities

By the following afternoon Arlo had developed a temperature and began vomiting.

The couple made an appointment with the GP, were told it was a virus and sent away with painkillers.

While his temperature went down, little Arlo developed a worrying rash. 

His parents took him to see another doctor on Monday, October 29 and were again told the virus would pass.

From that point on, the chain of events took a terrifying turn.

Arlo turned blue around his mouth and his family called an ambulance.

His condition deteriorated rapidly in the ambulance and he was placed on an ECMO machine.

‘It went from okay to bad really quick,’ mother Kate Upton told 9 News.

Medics initially thought that Arlo could be suffering from sepsis, however when they brought him into hospital they re-diagnosed him as having a gene mutation called LPIN1 deficiency, resulting in acute skeletal muscle damage. 

Arlo suffered a seizure at 5.30am on Thursday, November 1 and was pronounced dead later that day. 

Mrs Upton is now advising all parents to go with their gut instinct regarding their child falling ill and recommends taking children to see a doctor for 'any cough or sniffle'

Mrs Upton is now advising all parents to go with their gut instinct regarding their child falling ill and recommends taking children to see a doctor for 'any cough or sniffle'

Mrs Upton is now advising all parents to go with their gut instinct regarding their child falling ill and recommends taking children to see a doctor for ‘any cough or sniffle’

‘It was the only option. His brain had swollen. He was almost unrecognisable.’

‘We spent a few hours singing to him, cuddling him and talking to him before they took the ventilator off,’  Mrs Upton said.

Mrs Upton is now advising all parents to go with their gut instinct regarding their child falling ill and recommends taking children to see a doctor for ‘any cough or sniffle’.

 

More in Australia

To Top