98-year-old man fighting for life after ‘brutal’ attack of ‘excessive violence’ – The HabariTimes Online
Connect with us

98-year-old man fighting for life after ‘brutal’ attack of ‘excessive violence’

News

98-year-old man fighting for life after ‘brutal’ attack of ‘excessive violence’

Neighbours of a 98-year-old man who was attacked and robbed in his own home say their street was repeatedly targeted by burglars.

Peter Gouldstone is fighting for his life after being discovered with bruising to his body and a head injury in Enfield, north London, yesterday morning.

Mr Gouldstone’s neighbours said the area was a ‘burglary blackspot’, with one resident having been burgled six times in the last 10 years. 

A pensioner is fighting for his life in hospital after he was attacked by robbers at his home

A pensioner is fighting for his life in hospital after he was attacked by robbers at his home

A pensioner is fighting for his life in hospital after he was attacked by robbers at his home

Local resident Khalid Mahmood, 42, added: ‘It’s bad, I do feel unsafe – I’m here with three kids and my wife.

‘My next door neighbour was 92-years-old – she was burgled twice leading up to her death four years ago.

‘The poor woman would not stop shaking, she lived on her home and she was in fear of another break in. These things are something you’ve come to expect.’

Another elderly neighbour, who did not wish to be named, said she had called Mr Gouldstone’s son on Tuesday morning after noticing his  garage door was open, which was ‘unusual’.

She said: ‘His son came and then police and an ambulance were here until it was dark.

‘I’ve known him for many, many years and he has a charming family. It’s not nice, you just have to lock up and hope.’

A police officer was stationed outside Mr Gouldstone's home this morning

A police officer was stationed outside Mr Gouldstone's home this morning

A police officer was stationed outside Mr Gouldstone’s home this morning

Another neighbour said she saw the pensioner being taken away on a stretcher.

A police cordon was set up in the alleyway behind the row of terraced houses on Wednesday morning and the fence of Mr Gouldstone’s garden appeared to have been knocked down.

Pio Gomes, 78, said Mr Gouldstone was rarely seen outside his home since his wife died several years ago. 

Mr Gomes said: ‘After that he wouldn’t come out much. I used to take his bins out for him because he wasn’t steady.’

The neighbour added: ‘His son Simon used to come round and take him out, take him shopping.

‘Of course it affects you because it’s worrying. It’s callous. Who could have done this to an old man like him?’

Several neighbours, many of them elderly, said there had been some burglaries on the road in recent years.

Officers from the Metropolitan Police believe there was a disturbance at the address and said a Toshiba television and other items were missing.

Police have appealed for anyone with any information to contact them about the raid

Police have appealed for anyone with any information to contact them about the raid

Police have appealed for anyone with any information to contact them about the raid

Detective Inspector Paul Ridley said on Tuesday evening: ‘This was a brutal and senseless attack on a vulnerable pensioner in his own home. The level of violence used was completely excessive.

‘From our inquiries we have established that the victim was spoken to by a family member on the telephone on Monday 5 November at 2pm and had not raised any concerns.

‘We are therefore confident the attack has taken place in the 20-hour window between then, possibly Bonfire Night, to when he was discovered.

‘I would urge any members of the public that may have seen any persons acting suspiciously in the vicinity of Evesham Road, Enfield, N11, to come forward to my investigation team as a priority.’

Continue Reading
You may also like...

More in News

To Top