A heart-wrenching video shows a young woman sobbing over the body of her guinea pig after it was scared to death by fireworks.
Philippa Davies, from Westward Ho in Devon, said her guinea pig died of shock after fireworks were set off in the street near her home on Bonfire Night.
The 22-year-old can be heard crying as she sits in hay and strokes the paw of her pet, Hobby, in the clip.
Philippa Davies, from Devon, wept as she sat in hay and stroked the paw of her pet, Hobby, in the clip
She said: ‘This is why fireworks should be banned.
‘Last night they were let off. Pretty much right next to our barns. And he was fine last night.’
Above the video, Ms Davies said she was ‘heartbroken’ at the loss.
She said: ‘I am heartbroken. He was my favourite and he was only two years old.
Ms Davies said her guinea pig died of shock after fireworks were set off in the street near her home on Bonfire Night
‘He had many happy, happy years left to live with his friends.’
Ms Davies also said people need to be more considerate when setting off fireworks near livestock and animals.
She said: ‘I lost him because of you. Fireworks need to be banned because people are irresponsible and always will be.
‘People need to be aware of the dangers of letting fireworks off next to livestock and animals.
‘Our horses were going ballistic as well. Lucky they are all okay. I have never had any problems as no one has let fireworks off next to our fields before.
‘Most people know there are horses everywhere around us.’
The video, which was posted to Facebook, has now been viewed more than 12,000 times.
Viewers commented on the post to offer their condolences.
Hobby the guinea pig (pictured) was only two years old when he passed away on Monday night
Ms Davies (pictured with Hobby) is now encouraging people to be more considerate when setting off fireworks around pets and livestock
Courtney Woodger wrote: ‘I’m so so so sorry. He was such a mischievous little dude. This is why fireworks should be for one night only.
‘People don’t think of others and all those poor animals.’
Sarah Moody Mare Wilmott commented: ‘RIP Hobby. Luckily my dogs and horse are fine with them but yes, it’s a big issue.’
Jessica Gargett said: ‘Our piggie died last night also. My daughter was mortified when we found her this morning, again either heart attack or shock.’
The video, posted to Facebook, has gathered dozens of comments expressing shock at the event